Saturday, July 9, 2011

A much needed reality check

Today we had a family reunion. That could be stressful enough (though in this case, I happen to like my family, so that part wasn't a big deal). But, the reunion took place at a big waterpark. You know what that means.

(cue scary, suspenseful music)


Swimming suits.

I had a moderate amount of anxiety about appearing out in public in a swimming suit. Lucky (?) for me, that anxiety was outweighed by trying to chase four kids around said CROWDED waterpark alone. Husband was helping his parents move.

Once I got there and did some people watching, I realized that I've been spending too much time watching beaches/pools and the women there on tv instead of real life. On tv and magazines, everybody looks perfect. Perfect figures, no lumps, no bulges, no cellulite.

Guess what? Real life is NOT like that. In fact, of all the women I saw today, the one with the best body wouldn't have shown up in any tv show or magazine ad.

I know it's not good or healthy to compare myself to others, but I can't help it. I did. I found that when I compared myself to other women over 30 who were mothers, my body wasn't nearly as awful as I thought it was. In fact, I felt pretty good about it by the time I left. Sure, my stomach is still a train wreck, and will continue to be a train wreck even after I lose weight. My bikini days are over, at least until I get a tummy tuck.

But, today wasn't nearly as bad as I envisioned.

Best of all, we left the water park unscathed. No drownings, no kidnappings, no molestations, no sunburns. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment