Thursday, September 17, 2009

Biggest Loser (the tv show)

I watched the Biggest Loser season premiere.

The first episode always has me weepy. All of these people have so much pain, and want to change so badly.

Abby's story had me in tears. What a terrible tragedy.

It was amazing to Jillian actually CRY! I wonder if that fried her circuit boards? Kidding. Actually, I adore Jillian, and if I were to pick one of the trainers, it'd be Jillian.

There's one thing that really made me angry about the show. The bottom couple, who were up for elimination each lost 13 lbs. SERIOUSLY?! I couldn't do that without amputation. And yet, somehow, that wasn't enough. It upsets me that super dramatic numbers are absolutely necessary and expected. Plus, to get picked, and only be able to stay for a week? Sad.

I would love to know what their actual schedule is there at the ranch. How many hours a day are they actually working out. Just how hard are they pushing the contestants? What are their heart rates at? I would think they couldn't push them too hard or they'd be too sore to work out the next day. If they were worked too hard, I'd think it'd do damage to make them work out every day.

On another note, I am super jealous of the gym there. They have so many cool machines there. That ladder machine looks fun. There's a lot of cool and unique weight machines too. I do belong to a gym, but it really is bare bones. When it comes to cardio machines, there's treadmills, ellipticals, something similar to an elliptical, reclined bicycle, and regular bicycles. The weight machines are very basic. There's not even a captain's chair. On the plus side, they have free daycare if you are able to volunteer in the daycare. My membership costs me $16/mo, including daycare, including classes. That's a screaming deal.

3 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about the behind the scenes at the BL tv show too. It seems they focus so much on showing the exercise, yet I know that the eating is HUGE deal, so I wish they would talk a lot more about what the contestants eat, and how they determine their calories, etc. I guess they just feel like it doesn't make for good tv...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this show! I do know that they train about 5 hours a day and that they are constantly checked by doctors and trainers to make sure their bodies are doing okay. However, I do agree that they should make a bigger deal about the eating part of their weight loss. I missed the end of this weeks show, who was voted off, Julio or his teamate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting - I have never watched this show. I'm not much for reality tv, but guess what I did before I started this competition???? I bought one of their cookbooks and it is great. Everything I have tried is nutritious and tasty. lol I will have to break down one of these days and watch an episode.

    ReplyDelete