Sunday, September 13, 2009

Calcium

I really need to up my calcium intake. There was an amazing article at WebMD about calcium and weight loss.

The highlights were this: They made a group of mice very fat. They separated the mice into four groups. All were given a calorie restricted diet. Group A got no supplement. Group B got calcium supplements (like tums), Group C got low fat dairy, and Group D got even more low fat dairy. All of the mice lost weight.

Group A (no supplements): 8% reduction in fat
Group B (tums supplement): 42% reduction in fat
Group C (medium amount of lowfat calcium added): 60% reduction in fat
Group D (high amount of lowfat calcium added): 69% reduction in fat

HOLY CANOLI!!!!! This is HUGE! All four groups were given the exact same food, other than the dairy part. That is an amazing difference.

I've been trying to take at least 500 mg of calcium each day. But, it looks like I really ought to try to find lowfat dairy that I like and get the calicum that way. I hate drinking milk. This definitely bears doing some research though.

I weighed myself this morning, and was a little discouraged to see my weight up a little from Friday. At this point, I'm only down 1.5 lbs from the start of the competition. My body fat is down 1% though, so that's nice.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting -- Maybe I should start drinking more milk... I like it... I just always forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this informative post. I hate cow's milk and always use almond milk instead...it says right on the box that it has calcium so I thought it was meeting my needs. And I got excited from your post 'cuz I was going to lost lots of weight now since I am finally drinking milk!

    You prompted me to see how they all stack up, soy/cow's milk/rice/almond.

    And Almond Milk falls way at the bottom of the barrel there...I was deceiving myself!

    But based on the above, it definitely seems worth finding another calcium source!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm going to go add low fat cottage cheese to my grocery store list right now! Thank you so much for sharing! It's good to remember that we need a well BALANCED diet (a little of everything) not just a restricted diet. Calcium here I come!

    ReplyDelete