Monday, October 5, 2009

ground beef vs. ground turkey

Here's a quick calorie count for you on how little changes can make a HUGE difference.

Assume a 4 oz. portion of either.

80% lean ground beef
278 calories
18 g fat
27.2 g protein

Lean ground turkey (foster farms, in my particular case)
150 calories
7 g fat
22 g. protein

That is almost half of the calories, and less than half of the fat!

Last night I made tacos. I used ground turkey instead of beef, and fresh baby spinach instead of lettuce. I really do love fresh spinach, so that was no big deal. I was worried about the turkey because I am the world's pickiest eater. Yes, I am even pickier than your 4 year old. Swear!

Omigosh you guys! It was so good! It tasted fine. In fact, it didn't have that greasiness that I don't love that I get from ground beef. I am now tempted to try it for hamburgers.

I first tried ground turkey in place of the sausage I use in lasagna. I actually preferred the turkey, much to my shock. I fed my parents and my grandfather the substitute, and they all snarfed it down without knowing, so they apparently couldn't tell the difference.

I think that if I continue to find little substitutions like this, I can dramatically cut my fat without feeling like I'm sacrificing.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, ground turkey isn't too bad. However if you find a substitute for reeces pb cups, let me know! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, we switched over to turkey a long time ago and it really does taste great and has a lot less calories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Debbie, if I figure that out, believe me, I'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

    ReplyDelete