Thursday, October 29, 2009

Couch to 5k

I hate running. I really, truly, hate it. Hate it hate it hate it with a blinding passion. I don't understand these running addicts. Considering that I really like sports in general, this is pretty compelling. However, nearly all runners are very skinny, or they are headed in that direction at a good pace.

I think there MUST be something to it.

I have decided to do a couch to 5k program. Because I have been doing some walking/running, I decided to skip week 1. I have done two of the three required workouts for week 2, and so far, so good. I worry a little about next week. I am supposed to warm up for 5 min. Then run 90 sec, walk 90 sec, then run 3 minutes, then walk 3 min. Repeat twice. Then again, I do run in 3-4 minute spurts, but it takes me a good 8-10 minutes of walking to recover. Maybe I'll have to run a little slower to do it. Week 4 looks even scarier.

3 comments:

  1. i tried the C25K probram when i startded. i couldn't do it. i sent my treadmill for 20 minutes. I'd walk for a few, maybe 5 and then run as long as i could, 3, 5, 8. then walk for 5. i kept doing this the whole time. when my body felt ready, i'd go longer. 5 instead of 3, 8 instead of 5, 10 instead of 8, 12 instead of 10, 15 instead of 10. it took a long time. almost 6 months because i was only running like 3 days a week. i had developed bad shin splints when i started. which is the reason i went really slow the 2nd time around. good luck. some people are not runners, myself included. since then i've done 3 5K's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that the number one mistake people make when trying to start running is RUNNING TOO FAST!! Slow down your pace and you will totally be able to do it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying something new and getting out of your comfort zone is always scary. You know what is worse, feeling bad about yourself for not doing it. You can do it, I know you can.

    ReplyDelete