Thursday, November 5, 2009

a different kind of milestone

I had really tiny fingers when I got married. My wedding ring was a size 4 or 4.25. I couldn't wear it while I was pregnant because my fingers swelled up, but within days of the baby being born, I could wear it again.

That is, until my fourth and last child was born 2.5 years ago. My fingers never went back down, and I was a size 5 finger.

I know it's stupid, but it bothered me. I wanted to lose weight and be able to wear my wedding ring again. I know I could get it sized, but I didn't want to.

So, instead, I bought a "bling ring" (a cz anniversary band), and it was fun, but I was a little sad about my wedding ring.

I hadn't tried on my wedding ring in quite a long time. Today on the radio, the discussion topic was "Why aren't you wearing your wedding ring?", and it got me thinking about my real ring again.

For giggles, I tried it on today. It fits! It's snugger than it used to be, but I can wear it comfortably. I am still only a couple pounds from my all time heaviest weight (pregnancy excepted), but I feel fitter than I have for most of my married life. So while I am chubby, no doubt, I am getting leaner.

It was a nice thing for me. I skipped the gym today because I was too sore, but it was nice to see a result in an unexpected place.

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! I love milestones like this. I actually had the same encounter with my wedding ring after 9 years of it not fitting. Now.. it's too BIG! BAH!! CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the BEST kind of milestone! scale weight is great but getting into old clothes or putting back on your ring after all that time... those are the really great moments in this whole adventure! i'm so happy for you. i'm sure your hubby is thrilled as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE non scale victories! and what a wonderful one to accomplish! congrats!

    ReplyDelete