Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Things I hate about the gym

I go to a ladies' only gym, so I suspect my list of pet peeves would be longer if I went to a co-ed gym. Here's things that set my teeth on edge.

1- People who save spots/set up equipment for friends who may or may not show up. This one bugs me more than anything else. I'll show up to a weights class with 5 minutes to spare, and there's little to no weights left, and I'm tucked up in a corner by a wall. 5 minutes into the class, someone will come breezing in, and they have a full set up with more weights than they need, in a prime spot in the room because some friend saved it for them. Or, worse, they no-show, and all those weights just sit there. Being cranky, I'll go grab what I need if it's 10 minutes into class and it's unclaimed. Kick boxing is even worse because people will get turned away if there's too many people. GRRRRRRRRR.

2- People who talk through class. I think it shows disrespect for the teacher. It also shows you aren't working very hard if you chat. It also is distracting, and you're never talking about anything interesting enough to make the distraction worth it. Shut up and work out, or leave the class area if you want to visit.

3- People who don't wipe down the equipment after they're finished.

4- People who are reading a book and trying to do a leg machine at the same time. But they're in a really good part or something, so they do one rep every 15 seconds. Come on!

5- People who are obviously ill, coming to work out. Lady, if you are coughing every 8 seconds, maybe you should take a day away from the treadmill and recover.

6- People bringing obviously ill children to the daycare.

7- Daycare volunteers who can't tell the difference between allergies and a cold (no, I am not a #6, I swear!).

8- Daycare volunteers who completely ignore all children save for their own. Help with the kids!

9- People who attend the weights class, and then substitute moves that are not a good substitute (for example, if we're doing chest press, they decide to do bicep curls instead). Yes, I realize this is petty, but it seems stupid to go to the class if you're not going to largely follow the instructor. Oddly enough, most of these people are also the chatters from #2.

10- People who have totally perfect bodies. Actually, I have a love/hate relationship with them. I'm so jealous I can't see straight, but they act as inspiration for me.

11- People who run wicked fast for a crazy long time on the treadmills. Ditto #10- I'm just jealous.

3 comments:

  1. LOL!! Love this!! Another thing I hate about the gym is that there are way too many skinny people there. Seriously.. fat people are scared to go to the gym because they know the skinny people are judging them. When I first started going I would be surrounded by stupid girls walking on the treadmill in their skimpy shorts talking to eachother about whether or not their shorts make their butt look big! I was like Umm.. geeze.. my BUTT make's my BUTT look big! AHH!!! Someday you will be one of the #10's and #11's... LOL!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Okay so the only time I go to the gym is when I visit my daughter. Otherwise, I walk outside or do the treadmill. AND, just for the reasons stated by Karilynn, I'm totally embarrassed cause I am so fat. lol so I think this is awesome. For one thing, it shows that you actually go and workout on a regular basis! Congrats on all that hard work and good luck in November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,

    I WORK at a gym and LOVED your pet peeves list. This is stuff that I get to see every day. Lucky me, huh? :) I have to honestly say to all of you that I really admire people that come to the gym day in, and day out. Even if you do not have the perfect body, at least you are THERE. You could have made the choice to stay home and didn't. And that is definitely something to be proud of, even if you feel that others are judging you. Keep up the good work. And congrats on the ring fitting! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete